Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life. (John 4:13-14)

Thursday, December 11, 2008

René López of Scripture Unlocked Gives Tribute to Zane Hodges

Dear readers of Free Grace Theology Blog,

I have the distinct pleasure of introducing to you a friend who I am certain will have an impact on your life as he has and continues to have in mine. This man has a fascinating history in his some 45 years and I have come to love and appreciate him dearly. His name is René A. López.

René received his Th.M. from Dallas Theological Seminary and is inches away from a Doctorate from the same establishment. His emphasis has been exegesis in the original languages, and in this task he has become a seasoned veteran. During this time his careful and well-researched exegetical writings have been published in several important journals, including Bibliotecha Sacra and the Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society. He is a member of the Evangelical Theological Society (ETS) and faithfully delivers papers at their annual conferences on varieties of pertinent and timely issues. René has written two extremely important books that deserve prominent places upon your bookshelf: The Jesus Family Tomb, which debunks the outlandish claim that Jesus Christ’s remains have been found, and Romans Unlocked: Power to Deliver, a masterful new commentary on the Book of Romans. Unfettered and not bound to uncritical and unquestioned allegiance to traditionalist interpretations, René is a free thinker who desires the truth of the Scriptures rather than the praise and approval of any established theological system. But most importantly, he is a man whose devotion to Jesus and careful fidelity to the Word of God coupled with his exegetical skills and writing capabilities will awe you, opening up the Scriptures for you in a fresh new way that will encourage and strengthen you in your walk with Christ.

René is the founder of Scripture Unlocked Ministries which can be found at www.scriptureunlocked.com and is now proudly linked to here at Free Grace Theology Blog. René’s ministry website is a veritable wealth of theological knowledge. Of great interest to the readers of Free Grace Theology Blog will be his database of various theological articles written by him and others: Scripture Unlocked free grace articles. There are many other features to his ministry site that should be thoroughly searched.

René López was a personal friend of Zane C. Hodges and worked under him for some time at Victor Street Bible Chapel, where René had the privilege to be instructed under Zane for many years. Although René has etched out his own unique and scholarly niche in today’s Free Grace Theology world, he humbly acknowledges the debt that we all owe to this man. René was up to speak at Zane’s funeral but time constraints prevented him from sharing his personal remarks. The following is a link to René’s tribute to Zane Clark Hodges:

Free Grace -- A Tribute to Zane C. Hodges: He’s Gone Home
[Note: If a window for a network username and password comes up when you engage this link, merely hit cancel or close and it will take you to the tribute page. It is merely a quirk that René is going to work out]

Furthermore, for all of you who were not able to be at the funeral or able to view it live, you may now see it at this address:

Zane Hodges Funeral Footage

Stay tuned for some pictures of the funeral, graveside service, and reception, as well as some commentary about the funeral.

15 Comments:

Blogger dreiher2 said...

I sent the DVD of the service off to GES last week. They should have them soon.

I also just finished re-streaming the first 15 minutes of the service from the finished DVD which is missing from the webcast recording. It has some nice music, scripture reading and some nice words from Dr. Hawkins. The entire service is on the DVD.

Here is a link to the re-streamed first 15 minutes of the service.

http://connect.palcs.org/p15195699

December 13, 2008 10:42 AM  
Blogger Sanctification said...

Don,

Thank you so much for publishing the video!

It was a blessing again to listen to the words of the speakers at the funeral. I particularly was moved by Dr. Radmacher's statement, and now I can hear it: "I know of no other man who was a more careful student of the Word, than Zane Hodges. I look forward to standing with him one day, before the Lord Jesus Christ." I think I got that right.

I also met Rene Lopez and talked briefly with him at the FGA conference. It was a great pleasure to listen to him describe his ministry involving cultures and translation.

Antonio, it is a blessing to me with each publication you make here.

God bless you, Michele

December 13, 2008 12:52 PM  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Lopez's commentary on Romans is essential reading for Free Gracers.

But that black shirt he is wearing is not good. I disagree with anyone who insists that black shirts are stylish. Just too faux-mafia.

December 13, 2008 1:39 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Thank you Antonio for adding Rene's links to your blog. I've loved and appreciated him for a number of years now since I've attended the GES Conferences. His commentary on Romans has been a big help to me. I was in his workshop at the last GES Conference regarding his book on the Tomb. I now have that book. It excites me to see men like Rene writing books that proclaim clearly God's free grace. And I'm especially grateful to know of his website. Another great place to learn!!!
Our Heavenly Father took our friend and great teacher home, but left us others who have learned under him to continue teaching us. Our God is faithful to each and everyone of us. He knows our needs.

Rene, WELCOME!!!
We're excited you're here!!!

All because of HIS wonderful grace,
Diane
:-)

December 13, 2008 9:22 PM  
Blogger Bobby Grow said...

Does anyone know what was the cause of Zane's death?

December 13, 2008 11:39 PM  
Blogger Antonio said...

Don, thank you very much for all the hard work you put into the setup, recording, and live feeding of the funeral, and now for also producing the DVD. I will update this post to include this new link for the restreamed video.

Michele, you are a welcomed and beautiful addition to the Free Grace Theology world. You are a caring and compassionate thinker, and I thoroughly enjoy it when you are around. You have rubbed elbows with some greats in our movement. I appreciate your quotation of Dr. Rad. I enjoyed a conversation with him at the funeral reception and was able to snap a few photos and have him sign his "Salvation" book for me. Our discussion was very good indeed.

Matthew, you are so funny! I am going to foreward your remark to him. He will get a big kick out of it. Yes, his commentary is very good indeed.

Diane, your sentiments are mine as well. It is a joy that you are around.

Hi Bobby! I intended to write you back on the other thread but my computer bit the dust. I have this old laptop I am using now until I set up my other computer. At the time of Zane's funeral, the coroner's report had not been released. I would not be surprised if it was his heart. He had a heart attack in the 90s and his brother died from a heart attack. But I am not sure. I will ask Bob Wilkin later. He just lost his mother a few days ago.

God bless you all!

Antonio

December 14, 2008 6:31 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I don't mean to keep repeating myself, but tonight I was just thinking about the unique person Zane Hodges was, and how he touched so many lives (like Rene Lopez and Antonio among many others) by opening up the pages of scripture so that we could see clearly God's truth.

Zane Hodges was a very unique man. He truly believed that every word in the Bible was from God. He devoted his life to the study of that Book. He never let the attacks against him detract him from his purpose. He kept himself in the Word and never blinked. He believed that BOOK..... every single word. It's easy for men to say they believe it, but Zane DID believe it!!! That's why he couldn't be shaken when the disagreements and attacks came his way. He prayed as he studied and was faithful to the end in being true to what God's Word said. God honored his study and devotion by giving him insight into HIS Word. He didn't budge from the truth that was revealed to him by God. I love him for that. I will forever be thankful for that man, Zane Hodges, because he was true to God's Word. That's the reason so many of us love him and will miss him. He was a very unique man. And today he is worshipping face to face the One he came to know and love so intimately in this life as he stayed focused and committed to the study and truth of the Word of God. Oh, Zane Hodges, how I'm going to miss you!!!

December 14, 2008 10:25 PM  
Blogger Rose~ said...

Antonio,
I would love to read his notes on Romans! I better get that in my "to-read" stack!

Thanks for the message from Bob Wilkin that you posted on my blog. I might make that into a post of its own!

December 15, 2008 10:01 AM  
Blogger Bobby Grow said...

Thank you, Antonio.

December 15, 2008 2:46 PM  
Blogger Sanctification said...

Antonio,

Thank you :D I'm glad you met Dr. R. face to face.

Matt,

But the trench coat is redeeming, don't you think? I need a good trench coat now and then myself.

Michele

December 15, 2008 8:39 PM  
Blogger Antonio said...

Hey Michele,

I have met him one time before at the 1005 GES Southern California regional conference. But not too much face time then. He was there with his worship director son.

Anyway, I got to talk to him for quite sometime about some sensitive things this time around. I am glad that I was able to go to Zane's funeral.

Antonio

December 16, 2008 8:49 AM  
Blogger David Wyatt said...

Wow, bro. Antonio! You & Dr. Radmacher are MUCH older than I thought! Also, I didn't know they were having regional GES conferences back in 1005!!

(HEHE!)

December 16, 2008 10:39 AM  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Michele

No!

The trench coat, combined with the black shirt only adds to the juvenile faux mafia look. At least he is not making it even worse by wearing a white tie.

December 16, 2008 10:43 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

For the record, I don't think that Rene is wearing a trench coat. He is wearing a double breasted dress coat.

Antonio

December 16, 2008 8:37 PM  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

For a dress coat, it has big lapels.

December 17, 2008 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home